Branson Missouri

Branson Edge

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Fredenburg Makes Pro MMA Debut - by Pat Dailey BDN

Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:26 pm | Updated: 11:56 pm, Tue Nov 22, 2011.
    If anyone would know exactly how many steps are along the Lakeside Forest Wilderness Area trail leading to and from Fall Creek Road and Lake Taneycomo, it’s Kenny Fredenburg.
    “There are 229 steps and 33 landing areas,” he answers with no hesitation when asked.
    Fredenburg knows what he speaks. He’s gone up and down the steps repeatedly as part of the relentless conditioning program for his jump to the pro ranks. Last weekend, he capped his training for his upcoming pro debut on Saturday by running the stairs four times within a 20-minute span.

    “What a great workout,” he said proudly.
    Fredenburg is without a cell phone at the moment. Maybe he doesn’t need one. From noon-9 p.m. almost daily, he’s been easy to find, either running the trail or going through a workout with Fulcrum 360 at the YMCA.

    There might be naysayers questioning if Fredenburg’s eight amateur fights have him ready to fight as a pro. But no one should doubt his willingness to prepare like a pro.
    “This is my dream,” said Fredenburg, who will take on Mathew Froster, of Topeka, Kan., in a heavyweight tussle as part of the Titans Rumble pro-arm at the Hilton Convention Center.

    “I’m a fighter full-time. I live in the gym. I used to dread training. Now, I look forward to it. I can’t wait to get in the gym and make myself better — climb the mountain.”
    Fredenburg feels like a new man, responding admirably by all accounts to a 60-day jail sentence he served over the summer for repeated DWI convictions.

    This will be his first fight since his release from jail in early September.
    “I did a lot of soul-searching while I was in there,” Fredenburg said. “I feel like a warrior again. I lost that attitude for a while. I went through a lot of things in my life. But now all aspects of my professional and personal life are progressing. I have no negativity in my life. I’ve surrounded myself with positive people.”

    “I know I’m not getting any younger. I’ve got that hunger back. I feel like I’m ready for this jump and I’m wanting to show everybody I’m ready to go pro. I’m more focused than ever. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been. I’ve stopped the partying and drinking and am eating right. I’ve trimmed up, I’m faster and my stand-up has changed drastically for the better. I’m not just a wrestler anymore.”

    In fact, Fredenburg, who previously held the Shofight heavyweight championship belt as a member of the Branson Fight Club, will do everything he can to keep Saturday’s fight from going to the floor.

    Froster’s background includes amateur kickboxing fights. He has a blue belt in jujitsu.
    “Stand-up is where it’s going to be,” said Fredenburg, who posted a KO or TKO in all six of his amateur wins. “I’ve been working on my jujitsu and ground game. But I’m hoping for a first-round knockout. I want to show I’m not just a wrestler. I want to land a big head-kick or a hook to end the fight.”

    Saturday’s card will include nine amateur fights and seven pro bouts.

    In the main event, former UFC middleweight Rob Kimmons (24-8) will meet Brandon Gains (15-16).

    Jeri Sitzes (3-2), a former world-renowned kickboxer, will face Angie Hayes (5-6) at lightweight.

    Brad Hamrick, a newcomer to Branson, was due to make his pro debut at super heavyweight. But he has left Fulcrum 360 to train with the Branson Fight Club.
    Hamrick will fight at BFC’s Ultimate Finals on Dec. 3. That card will feature 26 locals vying for 13 spots on BFC.

Labels:

Comments on "Fredenburg Makes Pro MMA Debut - by Pat Dailey BDN"

 

post a comment